Periodontal gum disease can attack us from a variety of forms, including forms we cannot control, such as genetics. However, even if you are predisposed to a higher chance of gum disease, the symptoms are easily seen and treatment is easily given. If you think you may have gum disease, or have let your proper oral hygiene habits fall to the wayside, the list below includes six simple ways to tell if you may have gum disease:
– Check your gums to see if they have receded, or appear to be pulled back from the teeth.
– Gum disease over time will loosen teeth from the gums. Be aware of any loose or sensitive teeth you may have.
– Constant bad breath or bad taste in your mouth could be a sign of gum disease.
– If your teeth move, change location, or your bite alignment changes, the tissue in your mouth may be wearing down from gum disease.
– Look for red, swollen, or extremely tender gums that appear. If the gums bleed easily or constantly, it may be a sign of gum disease.
– If you have any difficulty speaking or experience pains when chewing, gum disease may be present.
Simple tasks such as professional cleanings and brushing and flossing daily can combat gum disease. If you wish to come in for an oral exam, please make an appointment with Dr. David Trebisovsky by contacting our fantastic dental team at Sandpiper Dental at 763-561-7000. You can also stop by our office in Brooklyn Park, Minnesota. Contact us for a brighter whiter smile today!